Home page of this blog

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

My current desktop is openSUSE 13.1



My current system runs openSUSE 13.1

Here are my reasons for choosing openSUSE

KDE 4.11.5


Desktop optimized kernel


Powerful system administration tool called YAST like control panel of windows, it allows controlling almost everything with a mouse click!



Default theme is looking beautiful



Easily install all codecs from packman repository (to install mp3 and movie codecs) and nvidia drivers

For nvidia drivers, click the link under 13.1 and it adds repository and offers nvidia installation


For multimedia


For ZFS on linux, I installed from software.opensuse.org, by searching ZFS (how easy) and clicking (one click install)





I installed openSUSE 13.1 with btrfs filesystem for root and home partitions. For boot partition I used ext4 filesystem. 

btrfs is still not defined stable by linux kernel, but I think it is much better supported by suse linux. I am having my data backups in ZFS and my normal files in btrfs. Both are considered next gen filesystems



Problems faced and how I fixed them

Networking after install was not working, I went to YAST --> Network Settings --> Global Options --> Choose "User Controlled with Network Manager" and gave OK


I faced video tearing in KDE with nvidia gtx 650 card. I fixed it by creating a new file to enable nvidia triple buffering. With 1 GB dedicated graphics card memory, enabling triple buffering is ideal.



To enable triple buffering, edit 50-device.conf as root and reboot, see below screenshot to see how the file looks after editing

sudo vi /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf


and add


Section "Device"
        Identifier "Default Device"
        Driver "nvidia"
        Option "TripleBuffer" "True"
EndSection

To verify if triple buffering is enabled after rebooting, check 

cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep -i triple



In fact the videos I watched after enabling triple buffering are stunning, I repeat stunning. The quality of the videos make me doubt if I watched those videos earlier!




I modified KDE desktop effects settings to do a fullscene repaint, see the screenshot below

Press Start Menu --> Configure Desktop -->Desktop Effects --> Advanced -->  Tearing Prevention (VSync) --> Full scene repaints



The next thing I did is deleted pulseaudio and rebooted, now the sound I hear is having no distortions (I dont like pulseaudio)

After deleting pulseaudio, the output of zypper (apt like software installation command line tool and much easier)

sudo zypper search pulseaudio


Installed chromium and latest inbuilt flash player  of chrome called pepper flash as follows

sudo zypper install chromium chromium-ffmpeg chromium-pepper-flash chromium-pdf-plugin chromium-desktop-kde



Zypper --> software installation command line tool

to search for software use sudo zypper search
to install new software use sudo zypper install  
to remove software use sudo zypper remove

To upgrade new software, just click install when apper offers software updates in notification

I installed java, g++, clang ... all with my mouse from YAST --> Software Management, I already like it a lot



and KDE 4.11.5, it is awesome, I enabled cube effect in desktop effects (Menu --> Configure Desktop --> Desktop Effects, second tab, try various stuff, they are good eye candy)



Some of the very best software

One of the best torrent software for torrents --> KTorrent
The best dvd writing software --> K3b
One of the best music player --> Amarok
Some of the best browsers --> Firefox (installed by default), Chromium (install it)
One of the best environments --> KDE
One of the best file managers --> Dolphin
One of the best terminals --> Konsole 

Why will I not like it ?






It is different kind of learning and I think it is worth it, know why ?

It has 3 years support, no logging your keystroke nonsense, no online search (you know what I mean ...)



No comments:

Post a Comment