Home page of this blog

Monday, October 17, 2011

Starting/Stopping x in Ubuntu 11.10

Today I spent my evening time in just installing/rebooting/restarting X server, installing xubuntu, installing ubuntu 11.10 just to get unity 3d right.

In the experiments, I learned a new thing about Ubuntu 11.10

It does not use gdm but uses lightdm


To stop the xserver, goto virtual console 1 (Ctrl + Alt + F1)

sudo service lightdm stop


To start the xserver, from virtual console 1 (Ctrl + Alt + F1)

sudo service lightdm start


Thought posting this may help someone having struggle with graphics drivers. Of course inserting/reinserting nvidia driver is trivial once the above is figured (sudo rmmod nvidia, sudo modprobe nvidia or sudo modprobe nvidia_current)

Finally after playing/experimenting for half a day, I figured that I am not supposed to mount tmpfs on RAM with noexec which caused failure in running scripts from RAM. Thank goodness I figured it finally

3 comments:

  1. To start stop x server in kde, replace lightdm with kdm

    ReplyDelete
  2. To restart X in Ubuntu 9.04 or above, the shortcut that used to be ctrl + alt + backspace, has been changed to alt gr + print screen + k
    http://www.sudo-juice.com/ubuntu-11-10-restart-x-shortcut/ for more info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot, it was very helpful for me

    ReplyDelete