Home page of this blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Flashplayer 10.1 and Google Chrome works better in Fedora 13 than Ubuntu Lucid 10.04

After using Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit for long, I faced two weird problems

1. When network is down while opening Google Chromium or Google Chrome in Ubuntu, it is taking lots of time to open and forgets all the saved passwords and settings. Though the restore button is present, it seldom works (see the link some one has similar problem http://millionchimpanzees.blogspot.com/2010/05/chromium-on-ubuntu-1004-slower-than.html)
Also http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=11380

2. 32 bit Flashplayer 10.1 in 64 bit ubuntu through nspluginwrapper works fine in Chrome/Chromium when it works (and often crashes) and the controls in flashplayer never works inside firefox 64 bit

As usual, I wanted to see how it works in Fedora 13 as in the following link chromium developers mention they don't face network problem in Fedora  http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=11380 .

So I resolved to install Fedora 13 to see if it worked without network issues in google chrome

Though I struggled installing Fedora 13 earlier (2 to 3 weeks back) due to nvidia card problems, this time I dared to install Fedora 13 as it was a Sunday (27/June/2010)

It was simple than I thought before to install Fedora 13, boot with nomodeset and ta da, no nouveau, excellent

Installed Fedora 13 and installed akmod-nvidia from rpmfusion (last time, Fedora 13 installation failed in my system due to kmod-nvidia, which is not intelligent to rebuild after kernel update, whereas akmod-nvidia takes care of rebuilding nvidia kernel for newer kernels automatically like dkms of ubuntu)

I installed google chrome from google website http://www.google.com/chrome/eula.html?platform=linux_fedora_x86_64

Fedora 13 google-chrome , does not have any network problems and it worked very well, to tell extremely well unlike ubuntu version did

Now came the real challenge, I wanted to install flashplayer 32 bit inside fedora 64 bit. Tried whole sunday and did not get sound. Thought of going back to Ubuntu, but I did not give up easily. I googled again today and encountered following site

http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-adobe-flash-player-10-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

Following the above link fixed flash plugin in Fedora x64

Flash 10.1 started working and works extremely well. It does not use processor heavily like flashplayer 10.1 in ubuntu did


And now pino twitter client works extremely well unlike gwibber in 64 bit

Just thought I will post about this

Fedora rocks as always




But do I miss my ubuntu ? No, I have the 32 bit Ubuntu Lucid running in VirtualBox OSE since Ubuntu 10.04 came

So it was simple, I installed VirtualBox inside Fedora (as root, yum install VirtualBox-OSE), pointed to my ubuntu virtual harddisk image (yeah I have a home partition, which I never format, unlike the root partition, this helps me switching distros easy)

see below









No comments:

Post a Comment